Wednesday, November 7, 2012



Why I love America . . .

Rare, warm November sunshine bounced off my blonde-haired kids as we strolled through the schoolyard, through the gate, and into the Civic Center's parking area.  Two big American flags stood sentry on either side of the front doors, heralding a reminder that today was the day!  Vote here! Yet, I doubted anyone in this modern Mayberry would forget--this town pulsates politics.  The election judges call you out at church if you fail to turn up to vote.  I know all about this . . . it happened to me one November a few years ago.  It was a small election and I was tired and kid-weary and truth-be-known--I didn't really care.  Not only did I get a scolding at church, I also got a phone call from the county commissioner (who happened to be my mother-in-law) wondering why I didn't vote . . .

So, there we were yesterday--my five kids and I, lined up to vote.  They came with me to see how it worked and they helped me select the candidates.  They pushed the buttons, ate the licorise from the election judges, and proudly wore "I Voted!" stickers the rest of the day. 

But perhaps the greatest realization of the day came late that night.  The votes had been cast and our man lost.  Dissapointment dappened the hope of before, but as I reflected on the events of the day I realized how much I love these United States.  I realized that without any concern for my children's safety we walked through the doors of our city building and voted freely. 

And here I am tonight, thinking about these freedoms we've been blessed with.  Blessed by the sacrifice of generations and dreams long passed.  We are free to think and speak and vote and campaign and disagree.  We are free to worship and free from want.  We are free from fear.  These freedoms come to us because we were lucky enough to be born here.  But they can only stay with us if we continue to work for them.  Work will save us and our children and their children.  Work will save us from want and fear.  Active worship is work.  Making a difference is work. 

So on the day after this Presidential Election, I want my children to remember how the sun felt on their innocent cheeks, how it made the church steeple glow across the street, how the election judges smiled and gave them treats, and how the freshly-plowed fields held the promise of bounteous harvests yet to come.  I want them to know of the promise and blessings of freedom and the responsibity we have to protect this great blessing.  I want them to know that we harvest these freedoms from seeds planted long ago and that we plant seeds of freedom for those who come after us. 

1 comment:

Anne said...

sue, that was beautiful and we love that Jared too!